Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Hot Chocolate on a Cold Afternoon

The Cacao Bar @ MarieBelle
484 Broome St., New York, NY 10013

**** (Definite Must)




Having never had a good hot chocolate in New York, I set out in search for the finest, and what better time to do it than in the depths of winter. Of course, I was clever enough to do some researching on the internet and it wasn’t long before I stumbled upon the rave reviews that MarieBelle had gotten from scores of chocolate lovers.


Watching me pace down the streets of Soho on a chilly Saturday afternoon huddled in my makeshift winter jacket and not-so-cozy scarf, one could easily tell that I was on a mission. I entered their flagship Luxury Chocolates retail store only to find myself surrounded by an endless array of decorated chocolates and delectable treats arranged across antique furniture and glass cabinets, not to mention the welcoming whiff of delicate aromas of cacao. Even though the chocolate bars neatly packaged in wrappers with 60s pin-up girls printed on them were tempting, I reminded myself that this wasn’t why I was there. So I walked to the back of the store and entered a room which immediately brought to mind the cafes of Paris and Vienna, with its antique furniture and tiny glittering crystal lights. I made my way to the counter and asked the waitress for their finest hot chocolate.


Even I wasn’t prepared for what was to come next. The decadent European-style 63 % cacao Aztec Hot Chocolate ($6) completely blew my mind away. I chose European only because the waitress reminded me that the American style of making it with milk takes away some of the character of the chocolate. Though all I had was about half a cup, I was thoroughly satisfied. The thick velvety chocolate made from single-origin Columbian cacao beans lingered in my mouth long after I’d finished drinking it. The harsh cold outside didn’t matter anymore. 

1 comment:

  1. How do we know which aztec cjhocolates are better ? the latino stores are full of it . But if WE see the name of NESTLE on it , we cringe

    ReplyDelete